In the rapidly expanding category of smartwatches continues to grow, a season veteran in traditional time pieces has joined the foray. Timex has partnered with mobile technology veterans Qualcomm to produce their first smartwatch. The Timex Ironman ONE GPS+ offers wireless connectivity without a smartphone.
Here are the features offered by the Ironman One GPS+:
- Stand-alone wireless connectivity without a phone
- Email-based messaging capabilities
- Tracking capabilities that communicate the user’s location to friends and family anytime, anywhere
- Custom-built “Find Me Mode” safety solution, which allows users to send an alert with exact location in case of an emergency
- Ability to track speed, distance and pace in real-time and instantaneously share performance metrics through your favorite social media and online fitness platforms
- Water resistance up to 50 meters, an essential feature for water exposure, training in the rain or swimming
- Built-in MP3 component with 4 GB of memory to play music via a Bluetooth headset
- Always-on, sunlight-readable, high-resolution touch display
- One year of data connectivity by AT&T included for U.S. and Canadian subscribers
No, you don’t get to makes calls like a spy or sci-fi star, but emails and location-based info sharing without needing to tether to a smartphone should come in handy to those who like to roam off the beaten path. AT&T will be providing the mobile service and will also sell the watch for $399.95.