Today Verizon and Motorola Mobility announce the next addition to the Droid family, the Droid 3. The Droid 3 falls directly in line with the original Droid and the Droid 2 design, but it is touted as the thinnest QWERTY smartphone, ever. Thinnest or not, Motorola has loaded the Droid 3 down with specs everyone can love.
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- 8-megapixel camera
- 1080p HD video capture
- 4″ qHD display
- 5 row QWERTY keyboard
Just to show you how much Android wants to be a part of you enterprise world, the Droid 3 with enhanced safety features like device encryption, remote data wipe, if lost or stolen, and QuickOffice to help with that important presentation. Wondering whether or not you would miss that important meeting? (we know you really know you want to be there) Cintrix GoToMeeting has been bundled in so that you will never miss another meeting (sorry) even if you physically can’t be there.
The Droid 3 will cost $199.99 on a new two-year plan, and data plan starting at $30 for 2GB of data. The only way to enjoy one of those unlimited plans was to already have one before today. Our guess is, you won’t really notice the difference. Go get your Droid 3 on!
Press Release below:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 7, 2011
VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE NEXT GENERATION DROID DELIVERING POWER AND PERFORMANCE: THE DROID 3 BY MOTOROLA
Full Keyboard, No Compromises; DROID 3 by Motorola Available Online Today
GREENVILLE, S.C. – Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today announced the new Android™-powered DROID 3 by Motorola, a global smartphone that delivers power for work and play without making compromises.
DROID 3 by Motorola is the world’s thinnest full QWERTY smartphone, and still delivers the power of a dual-core 1 GHz processor for fast multi-tasking. Customers can take stunning photos with the 8-megapixel camera or capture the moment in 1080p HD video. Equipped with Android 2.3, the DROID 3 by Motorola features a brilliant 4-inch qHD display, a roomy 5-row QWERTY keyboard and 3G Mobile Hotspot capabilities, with the ability to connect up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. DROID 3 by Motorola delivers the power needed to conquer the day whether customers are at home, work or somewhere in between.
· Powered by Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread
· Mirror mode allows you to view and share photos, videos and movies on a larger TV via HDMI output (requires HDMI cable)
· Global ready, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice and data service in more than 200 countries, including more than 125 with 3G speeds
· Enterprise ready with advanced security policies, device and SD card encryption, complex password support, remote data wipe of device and SD card; document and presentation viewing and editing with Quickoffice®
· Citrix® GoToMeeting® for Android, gives users the ability to attend online meetings while on-the-go, and Citrix Receiver® for Android, a universal software client that allows companies to deliver corporate apps, desktops and data to any corporate- or employee-owned device
· ESP smart dock technology for a tailored experience based on whether DROID 3 isdocked in home, office or car settings
· Adobe® Flash® Player 10
· Front-facing camera for still shots and video chat
· Video playback in 1080p HD in mirror mode
Pricing and availability:
· DROID 3 by Motorola is now available online at www.verizonwireless.com, and will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores by July 14 for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
· Customers that purchase a DROID 3 will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package. New Verizon Wireless customers will have the option of smartphone plans starting at $30 for 2GB of data. Current Verizon Wireless smartphone customers who are upgrading their smartphone can keep their current data plan.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a VerizonWireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.